james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My son was stopped and searched by police on suspicion of

My son was stopped and searched by police on suspicion of supplying drugs. After a strip searched he was released as he had nothing on him However they made him leave his phone and PIN number as they said it was part of their investigation but he was free to go and no charges made. Is this right that they can do this?
JA: What was your son charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?
Customer: He wasn’t charged with anything
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: Didcot Oxfordshire UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no nothing
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Do you need further information
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No I don’t a phone call
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Will you reply here?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Are you going to reply please
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
What is happening please

When a person has been arrested  and then later released, they can be released on police bail ot released as a person still under investigation.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He wasn’t arrested though or charged with anything .. once the search was completed her was free to go but they still kept his phone
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Apparently the said he could just collect the documentation from the police station but was the search documentation
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I don’t understand how they can still keep his phone

Understood.

Yes if they suspect drugs or involve them in drugs they do have the power to search without arrest.

The police can also seize property under the misuse of drugs act if they suspect the same.

It sounds as if your son has been told he can collect paperwork regarding the search. That is  standard.

The police will return the phone once they have inspected the item.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
even though he had no drugs on him and other than standing talking to a friend no other obvious reason to be searched and wasn’t charged or arrested they can still keep his phone and look through it .. just so I understand

Yes that is correct.

What he needs to do now, is instruct a crimson law solicitor. Legal aid will be available

The following link will allow you to look for a legal aid law firm.

Enter a local post code, select the area of law  crime etc and a list of local firms will be displayed, then all you do is simply call one.

https://find-legal-advice.justice.gov.uk

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Great thank you
your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again. n