AKSimpleLaw
AKSimpleLaw, Solicitor
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
108371865

Second opinion] I sold some items via Facebook Marketplace

second opinion] I sold some items via Facebook Marketplace with the a total of 9 transactions. One transaction had a dispute raised as being an unauthorized purchase. I submitted evidence to show that I sold someone something and sent them the item. 2 days after this I received another email from Stripe (who is the payment processor for Facebook) saying they are closing my account because they identified charges that are unauthorized and will be refunding all transactions even though all my buyers have received their items. This means they are taking my money and giving it back to the buyers who have received their items. None of the other transactions have a dispute or any issue with them so I do not understand why and how Stripe can decide to take my money and give it back to customers when there is no issue with the transaction. Can they do this legally? have now lost all the money from the sales and no longer have the items so I've been screwed on 2 fronts when i haven't done anything wrong. It's like I am being punished because someone bought something from me in a fraudulent manner. To make matters even worse, the transaction that was being disputed was never paid to me so I never received it in my bank account. Today Stripe sent me another email saying they are going to debit the amount of the disputed transaction and the dispute fee from me. How can they do this? They never paid me the money from that transaction so I am so furious that they are now trying to take money from me that they never paid me. I want to know if I can take legal action against them as I don't think they have any legal right to take my money and give it back to customers who have had their orders fulfilled. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi! I am a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query. Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there may be delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
It is rather strange what has happened here. You must retain all the emails and evidence that you have as this will be very useful.You should contact stripe and Facebook for an explanation. You could also raise a complaint with both of them and provide all evidence.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. Both stripe and Facebook aren’t being helpful and just keep sending me generic emails . What I’m just trying to determine is if stripe have a legal right to refund the buyers who have not raised any disputes ?
Generally no they do not. However you should check their and Facebook's terms and conditions.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’ve checked and I can’t find any such section that says they can do that
In that case, they definitely have no reason to refund the undisputed transactions.
AKSimpleLaw, Solicitor
Experience: Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My pleasure. Best wishes.