How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4721
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My tenant who has been living in my flat for 13 yrs was

This answer was rated:

My tenant who has been living in my flat for 13 yrs was arrested by the police last Wednesday for having explosive materials in the flat and also found in the dustbin, he is in court today. I would like advice on how soon can I evict him, do I have to use a section 21 notice and how much notice do I have to give or can I get him to leave sooner because of the danger to property and neighbours.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Warren hill, Nottingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None other than try to find out from the police what I can do, very stressed by this
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not really although I let him move in with no deposit and he has been on a low rent for 13 yrs, because I let him have the flat because a friend said he had nowhere to live, since been told he was thrown out of his previous rental.
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I do understand your concern and it really is not without merit. However you do need to follow the eviction process so as not to open you up to being sued for breach of the tenancy agreement in the future.

You must therefore serve a section 21 notice given the tenant a minimum of 2 months to leave. You cannot simply move in to the property unfortunately.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome