How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32257
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I am wanting to register for council tax at my partners

This answer was rated:

HI. I am wanting to register for council tax at my partners house as i have moved into a RV on a caravan site. I want to use his address for my mail and credit history, hence registering for council tax / electoral role. I do stay with him some nights as he does with me. We have been together for 10 years. I simply want an agreement that states i have no right to his property. He owns it. I have been told a cohabitation agreement is the best solution but we have been told it will be over £600 for a simple agreement. Can you help
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leeds, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None apart from speaking with a couple of local solitiors
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thats all i think

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

may I clarify, from what you say, you have either sold or otherwise surrendered your existing property and now moved into a mobile home and wish to formalise your occupation at your partners house which is owned entirely by your partner. Is that correct please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I lived in a rented flat. I dont want to buy a normal house, so i have bought an RV and currently live on a caravan park. There is no formal address for this site. I want to keep my credit file current and clean, so my partner is happy for me to register my self at his property but we both want something in place that states i have no claim now or in the future over his property

thank you. A cohabitation agreement is certainly one approach you could take to this. An alternative less comprehensive agreement would be that of a licence agreement, commonly known as a lodger agreement though this would simply address your occupation of the property whereas a cohabitation agreement can address wider aspects of your relationship beyond just the occupation of a property.

Ideally, you would make a cohabitation agreement through solicitors in order to ensure it is as binding as possible and certain elements off a cohabitation agreement can be potentially challenged by one or both parties on grounds they did not understand the contents if you are not represented but not with standing this risk, it is perfectly possible for you to put in place a cohabitation agreement without representation. In terms of rights to the property, it is unlikely you would be able to make a claim against the property in any event even without a formal agreement unless you can show you have made capital contributions towards thee property on the basis of an agreement that you expected to receive equity in return for doing so which from what you say, you have no intention of so contributing.

You can use the following service to assist you in preparing a cohabitation agreement if you decide that is an appropriate way forward:

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me
I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you