Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Bushes and trees growing on my neighbour’s land have never

Bushes and trees growing on my neighbour’s land have never been trimmed. They are now growing over my garage roof. I feel they could damage the roof tiles and cause leak. I had my gutters cleaned yesterday and the contractors could barely get to the gutters. Can I require the neighbour to cut back their dense foliage?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have done nothing so far. I intend to speak to them this evening but I would like to be certain of my rights first.
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: We live in a small housing development near
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Watford. There is a walk dividing our properties.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if you have notified or contacted the neighbour to request that they cut back or remove the overgrowing shrubs or whether you have notified them of your concern in regards ***** ***** damage to your property please?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
As previously stated, I really only noticed how bad the problem had become when I had all my gutters cleaned yesterday and the contractor could barely reach the garage gutters. I have been living elsewhere for a few years I don’t know the neighbour as although our houses are adjacent, we are in different roads.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I wanted to be sure of my facts re the law before having the conversation. I intend speaking to them this evening.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
This is a photo of my garage with the neighbours’s foliage engulfing it!

thank you. The starting point is that your neighbour has no right to grow trees or shrubs over your land. This technically amounts to a trespass and you can require the neighbour to remove the shrubbery alternatively, remove it yourself without they permission providing you offer to return it to them.

If the neighbour refuses to do so, then you would have a cause of action available against them both in terms of the costs of removal and also providing you have previously notified them of your concern in respect of potential damage to your property, any subsequent damage which occurs if the neighbour does not attend to removal

naturally, in the first instance such matters are best approached amicably and informally, escalating gradually if and when necessary.

if the neighbour refuses to cooperate, the options available to you in terms of removal would be as above to remove the overgrowth yourself offering to return it to them or employ a contractor to do so and then subsequently looking to the neighbour for the reasonable cost of the same

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The shrubs were initially manageable as I bought this house new 25 years ago. The neighbours house is the same age. They have just grown out of hand and the shrubs were initially planted by the building contractors

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I don’t think you understood that the trees/ shrubs were NOT planted in my land . They are planted in the other side of the wall but in 25 years they have matured and grown to how you see them now in the photo I sent. I would only be returning branched if I was obliged to have them removed myself . I am reluctant to take on this expense, in case it was not refunded?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What happens if the neighbour refuses to pay or reimburse me?

this was my presumption that the trees were planted on the neighbour's land and the above was based on that understanding. It is on this basis that you are required to offer to return the material you remove if you remove the foliage yourself. However as we have also discussed above, you can also asked the neighbour to attend to removing the same

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you Joshua. I hope to have a fruitful conversation with my neighbour tonight.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I spoke to my neighbour last night and she was surprised ( she can’t evens see my garage through her ‘jungle’. She promised to speak to her gardener. I’m hoping this will be resolved soon. Many thanks,
Maggie
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I will request you if I need further assistance, but I can’t see where to rate you the 5 stars !

This sounds like a relatively positive outcome or at least a promising initial step

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I want to cancel my membership today! You have not sent me the link to log on and get to my account. Please cancel my membership !!
***** *****

I am very sorry to read of the above. Unfortunately as I do not work directly for Justanswer I am not given any access to your account and therefore cannot see what you have been charged nor help with any billing enquiries. However customer services will be more than happy to assist you with the same. They can be contacted in a variety of ways including telephone, email and chat via the below link or on 0808(###) ###-#### There are also self-service options regarding your membership available from the same below link:

https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I asked one question. It was answered adequately. I wanted to be able to cancel the trial easily so I did not incur any more expense. It was NOT easy!

I am sorry to read of the above. As expend in my previous post, I do not work for Justanswer so I am unable to assist with service support queries. My understanding is that a trial can be cancelled using the self-service options through the above link but in any event, customer services will be pleased to assist you with any issues you experience may have experienced in this regard

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ve cancel. Please stop emailing me!

I will only respond if you post to this thread. I will not send any further messages other than in response to any further posts you post here.