Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Same question a debt company rand me at collecting on a

Customer Question

For Joshua Only
Hi Joshua, same question a debt company rand me at collecting on a company that I only agreed with a one off advertisement, which was 5 years ago now. Never received an invoice or signed a contract!
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

Hello again and thank you for your question and I'm grateful for your understanding. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

1. May I confirm if you are satisfied that you paid for the service in relation to that one off advertising request please?
  2. if so, what amounts is the company in question claiming you owe and have they produced any evidence to show or demonstrate any form of contract for the service?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I was fine with one time advert. The guy on the phone said he will freeze the account , I don't know when he will call again it was a witheld number .but I really dont like the sound of it
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

thank you.  The burden of proof is upon the company to adduce evidence in respect of any contract they claim exists and under which you oh any debt to the company. it is not upon you to prove that you do not owe the company money. Were that the case, then the position would be absurd where anyone can claim anyone else owes the money and it would then be for that person to prove that they do not which is obviously not how things work.

As such, if the company owes you money, you can put them to strict proof as regards ***** ***** your indebtedness to the company which presumably at a minimum would include evidence of signed terms and conditions or voice recording or other evidence of the contract as well as agreement as regards ***** ***** an invoice and subject to which, you deny any liability to the company in question

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok that's a comprehensive reply I'll do that.
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.