ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I’m just wondering if a witness has been summoned to court

Customer Question

Hi I’m just wondering if a witness has been summoned to court can they retract their statement the day before?
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stoke on Trent, uk
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: I have court tomorrow and a witness has said they’ve retracted their statement even though they’ve been summoned to court. It now doesn’t look good for me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank tou
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No that’s everything thank you
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How long until a response please? Thank you
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. If they have been summoned to court they are still required to attend and not simply retract in order not to give evidence.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.

The witness will have to turn up and can say to the court that they wish to retract what they have said. Dependent on the type of matter the court may allow you to rely on the witnesses previous written statement. This is a technical area and you may benefit from a solicitor assisting with the hearing if you form the view that it is likely to affect your matter.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.

Even if forced to give evidence the witness may change their statement. As such, you would have to be able to question them based on the previous statement that was given. Again, dependent on the nature of the matter I recommend having a solicitor assist.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.