How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick;Lawyer Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 398
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Patrick;Lawyer is online now

I have only just found out that my husband hasn’t filed his

Customer Question

Hi. I have only just found out that my husband hasn’t filed his taxes in 5 years the company is in his name only I’m scared if I can get into trouble
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i only found out a couple of days ago I asked my husband to sort it but he won’t
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Patrick;Lawyer replied 19 days ago.

Hello there and thank you for choosing to use our service. I am an experienced litigation solicitor specialising in pragmatic risk management. I have worked in the law across multiple jurisdictions since 1999 including USA, Ireland and England and Wales where I gained most of my practical knowledge and experience over 16 plus years. My MO with Just Answer is to provide a clear answer to your question in an efficient way. Let’s strive to achieve this together by working in tandem with your questions. This is not an instant text function but I will answer your query directly over the next 24/48 hours. This is a collaborative and interactive service so please provide as much focused information as possible in order to optimise your experience and value obtained from our platform. Keep calm and focused as these are prerequisites in commencing any legal transaction or defending any legal action or early dispute. I will return to you as quickly as I can to provide my top level summary / RSVP, request for additional information and practical guidance ~ if appropriate. This answer will not constitute any client / attorney relationship but it is my firm intention to deliver a direct answer to your question. Regards

Expert:  Patrick;Lawyer replied 19 days ago.

You are right to be concerned given the potential impact upon your marriage but this is a matter for his accountant for now and please take full advice and proceed with utmost caution here.  Happy o hear more.  Regards

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The company is in my husbands name I have never had anything to do with it and he doesn’t tell me anything hence me only just finding out he hasn’t filed his taxes in 5 years I’m scared can I get in trouble for this too ?
Expert:  Patrick;Lawyer replied 19 days ago.

Based on your knowledge presently disclosed - no but I would need to know more about the nature / turnover of the business /company.  You must keep calm now and compile and collate what you know and prepare to either speak rationally to your husband or go and see an accountant / lawyer or police dependent upon the extent of the problem you are in the process of identifying.  Regards

Expert:  Patrick;Lawyer replied 18 days ago.

I would be happy to assist with any follow up, checking or clarification required here. We offer additional, customised services beyond this Q&A function if you wish to consider that option. I will close out with my final thoughts upon your response. Regards