MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I wonder if you can. I am a single mom with two teenage

Customer Question

Hi good morning
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I wonder if you can. I am a single mom with two teenage children. I came back to UK after many years of break so just trying to figure out what's what. I started work full-time on a 40k job just three months now. Am I entitled to any lower tax or any tax related benefits?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Birmingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I don't know what to do because I don't know what I am entitled to I applied for universal credit last year when I came but it was declined
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of. Except my one child is living here with me and my other child still abroad but I'm fully responsible for him. I am getting child benefit for the child that is with me
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 20 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Generally no, you may be entitled to some tax allowances that reduce the amount of income tax you have to pay. it explains the various tax allowances that you may be entitled to, but you should be aware that not all allowances work in the same way.

Some reduce the amount of income that you have to tax on, like the married couple’s allowance and the marriage allowance provides an amount (a tax credit) that can reduce the amount of income tax you pay.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I was in marriage. But I am separated. And I am fully responsible for my children. I don't get any help from anyone. So can I pay less tax in any way??
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Yes, you can claim child tax credits. The child you’re responsible for will need to be either under 16 or between 16 and 20 and in full-time approved education or training.

• If your children were all born before 6 April 2017, you can claim child tax credits for each child. 
  • If your first or second child was born on or after 6 April 2017, you can claim child tax credits for them. 
  • If your third child or any later child was born on or after 6 April 2017, you can't usually get child tax credits for them. However, you should still let HMRC know about them.

If you share responsibility for a child, for example if you and your partner are separated, only one of you can claim child tax credits. This should be the person who is mainly responsible for the child.

If one parent spends more on childcare, this doesn’t necessarily mean they’re mainly responsible. The person who looks after the child most of the time should claim.

You don’t need to be working to claim child tax credits, but if you are you need to earn less than a certain amount. The amount you can earn depends on your circumstances. HMRC looks at things like:

• the number of hours you work
  • how many children you have
  • if you’re a single parent

If you're 18 or over, you can use the Turn2us benefits calculator to check if you can get child tax credits.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.