How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32257
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I own my own house but because my brother inwaw got me a

Customer Question

i own my own house but because my brother inwaw got me a mortgage because i had lent him money to buy a house until he sold his house so the name on the deeds is his and i want to change it to mine
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no my daughter told me what papers i need but i caunt fill them in with out advice
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: combe martin
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no i dont think so
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

  1. May I confirm if your brother-in-law is in principle willing to cooperate with you in the above endeavour please?
  2. are you able to repay your brother-in-law and/or the mortgage as things stand either from your own resources or by obtaining a mortgage in relation to the property yourself as things stand?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
There is no mortgage I have already paid it of
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
there is no mortgage i paid it of several years ago
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

thank you. May I confirm if your brother-in-law is in principle willing to cooperate with you in the above endeavour please?

Expert:  Joshua replied 20 days ago.
Do you have any further information on the above please?
Expert:  Joshua replied 20 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms in the assumption that your brother-in-law is willing to cooperate with you generally in respect of the above, then the first step would be for you to ascertain how you will repay the existing mortgage that is on the property. Presumably this will either need to be from your own resources or failing which, by way of obtaining a mortgage in your own name which of course will depend upon your financial status. If you will be reliant upon the latter, you will need to consider approaching a mortgage broker in this respect.

from there, it would be a question of appointing a solicitor to carry out the conveyancing work for you and affecting a transfer of equity and remortgage

Expert:  Joshua replied 19 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.
I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.
I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.