MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have a problem in the house I am staying, Waltham Cross, i

Customer Question

Good afternoon!
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a problem in the house I am staying
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Waltham Cross
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i am looking to move
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i rented a room with no contract in a house rented by a couple
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We living together from 3 years. Because we are disagree with something, I said I will leave when I’ll find somewhere to move.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
They were offended and he said I have 10 days to move not when I’ll find to rent something else
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can they take me out from the house if I do not find something to rent in 10 days?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How long can I stay in this house till I find to rent something else, please?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am single.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.

Generally, To rent a room, you need to agree with the other party how much you will pay; how long you will be there; and any other obligations you want them to have. If the renting period is intended to be under one year, it does not need to be in writing to be legal. valid, but having a document will make the agreement easier to enforce. If the intended renting period is over a year then writing is required.

Furthermore, since your landlord gave you the notice to leave. If you have a fixed-term tenancy, your landlord cannot normally end the tenancy unless you are in breach of your obligations

However, if you do not have a fixed-term tenancy, the landlord can ask you to leave during the first 6 months without giving a reason. They must serve a valid written notice of termination, allowing a minimum 28-day notice period.

In the first 6 months, only 7 days' notice is required if your behaviour is seriously anti-social or threatens the fabric of the property. See 'exceptions to required notice periods' below for more information.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am living in this house for almost 3 years, my behaviour is not anti-social.
So if I understood correctly, I have 6 months to move, right?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sorry, I read again…
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
If no contract, no fixed-term, no bad behaviour from my self, I have 28 days to move, right?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
one more thing, please
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The text message on ‘what’s up’ is valid as a written notice or he has to give me the notice written on paper?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 17 days ago.

Yes, if there is no fixed-term tenancy, you must be served a valid written notice of termination, allowing a minimum 28-day notice period. 

For your second question, notices should always be served in writing and this means by sending an actual letter or at least via email. The use of the word “may” means that via email may be acceptable as opposed to sending a correspondence letter.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry. Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future if you have further enquiries.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
About my problem.. I am living in a room, with no contract, where I payed rent
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The couple rented the house and they rented to me a room.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The problem is they want to leave the house today and they said they gonna take my stuff out.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don’t know what can I do, because I didn’t find a place to move yet
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What I should do if they start to move my things, please?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

If there is no written contract, a landlord cannot evict a tenant through the ‘accelerated’ no-fault eviction process, which is also called a Section 21 notice. Instead, they may have to use the much longer and more expensive Section 8 notice and go through the courts.

Inform them of this and if they do not listen you are free to put this to them in writing as evidence.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

No problem, happy to help.