How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17075
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have a dispute with Domestic and General. I had a new

Customer Question

Hello, I have a dispute with Domestic and General. I had a new kitchen fitted in 2021. When the old kitchen was removed the appliances were scrapped. I phoned Domestic and General and cancelled my cover for the appliances. They were a Double oven and a hub. At the same time I set up cover for my new appliances. A year later my tum Sorry I will have to contact you later as I have got visitors.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hello, I am sorry that I had to break off to answer the door. I live in Doncaster and my dispute is with Domestic and General appliance insurance.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have phoned them and written to them. I have sent bank statements of the first and last payments that they took on direct debits from Feb 2021 to Feb 2022
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, basically they were taking payments on two items that I had cancelled in February 2021 when I had a new kitchen fitted. The items they were charging me for were a Hotpoint double oven and Hotpoint Hob. The agent I talked to cancelled the policies but not the Direct Debits. At the same time the Agent set up new policies for the Zanussi oven and Hob which were fitted in my new kitchen. The reason I didn’t notice the payments going out of my Current Account was that the old policies were taken on the 4th of the month and the new ones on the 24th. I only realised when one of my tumble drier broke down and I was looking on my statements to see if I was covered for the tumble drier as I hadn’t got any documents for it.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

Luckily, there is a quick and easy way to resolve a dispute with your insurer.

Given the dispute with the insurer, you can avail of the Financial Ombudsman Service dispute resolution scheme - which is much quicker than court action and free to use. You have to go through a complaints procedure first.

You wouldn't need a lawyer for this because the Ombudsman scheme is set up for consumers such as yourself. When making the comparing to Domestic & General it just needs to be in simple terms why you are unhappy. They are supposed to provide you with a service after all.....

You are covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here which means you have a right to expect a service (from the insurer) carried out with reasonable care and skill. Furthermore, the policy should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of your consumer rights and breach of contract.

You should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

You can make the complaint here:

When you do make the complaint, tell the insurer you plan to report them to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) who regulates them. You can reach the FCA to report them on 0800(###) ###-####if you wish. It may speed matters up.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the insurer which would hopefully result in a resolution in your favour. They can order the insurer to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here :

Or by email:***@******.***

Based on the circumstances, assuming the insurer does not uphold your complaint, I am sure the Ombudsman will do. The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened.

Their decision is binding on the insurer. I am sure this will resolve the dispute from having read your question.

The above is the only way forwards short of court action (which is a last resort but an option open to you if the ombudsman does not see it your way).

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you for your advice, which I will follow. Ann
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.
Hi Ann, 

I'm glad it has helped - best of luck with it, thanks and have a good day.