How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26775
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I am renting house from 2013 private landlord. I am asking

Customer Question

Hi. I am renting house from 2013 private landlord. I am asking for tenancy agreement but he don't want to give me. I need for proof for Universal credit. What I have to do please
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: WS10 9hl
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I call him and text him but not reaction from him
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes. I make complain because from 2013 he don't have gas and electric certificate
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

Has he ever given you a tenancy contract?

and has he protected your deposit and given you EPC or are they missing as well?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
First time yes he give me a contract but I am sending all my proofing document to Homo Office for residential card 6 years ago. I got some documents back but not my contract about renting house
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I pay deposit also
Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

I’m not saying that you should do this but if you stop paying rent, the landlord cannot legally evict you unless you have a tenancy agreement because you have a statutory right to have a tenancy agreement.

Other than that, it is actually not a legal requirement to have a tenancy agreement. Without one he doesn’t have the protection of the law behind him although you do.

You need to give the name and address of the landlord to the Home Office people who are asking and proof of rent payments and give copies of the letters that you sent to the landlord asking and if he has told you in writing that he will give you a copy, let them have a copy of that also. You may find that a local solicitor or citizens advice would write a letter for you supporting what you are saying.

There is actually no magic answers of this. Sorry.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards


Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

Can I help you any further with this? It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask. Kind regards Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

Hello again.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

No problem at all. I am glad to help.

By the way, if you would like to ask me a new question in the future, (not just clarification on this thread, then please just type @ (the at sign) followed by my name and you’ll be able to select my username to tag me in the question.

If you like, you can also put “For Stuart J only” in the question thread and then the other experts will know that it’s for me.

You can also tag me as one of your favourite experts.

Thank you

Kind regards.


PS: there is no need to reply as a matter of course otherwise your reply comes back to my inbox, thinks you’re waiting, and I have to reply again. Kind regards