How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26754
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have a property that I let as an Airbnb and the council

Customer Question

Hello. I have a property that I let as an Airbnb and the council have said that I need to change the rates to business rate. I am trying g to find out the implications of this can you help
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: oxfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None the council contacted me last week and said they believed it had been empty for 2 years so they weee going to increase rates by 100. I explained we were letting as Airbnb but with family staying for several months a year. They said I should pay business rates but couldn’t tell me how much that was because if it was a huge increase we would just leave it as a family home
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

To clarify - you have used this property for AirBnB for last 2 years when you are not there?

how often is it let out?

has it got a BTL mortgage or residential mortgage?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The. Lincoln have given me 24hr to respond
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No mortgage. We started Airbnb last year in June It’s difficult to say how often we will let it but probably 4-5 months a year. We are happy to pay business rates if appropriate but the council said they done know how much it will be until we agree to go business rAtes.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry comment above should read the council have given me 24 ha
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

My suggestion would be to agree to what they are saying, then when you find out what the rates are, you can decide which way to go immediately. Then you tell them you have gone back if that’s what you are doing.

Giving you only 24 hours to respond and telling you how much the business rates are going to be is clearly unreasonable and you would be quite justified in making a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help. How do we file a complaint with the Government Ombudsman?
Also what can they do for us once we have filed a complaint?
Would it be worth our while to hire a tax solicitor and ask for more time so we can do more sue diligence?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Here are contact details of the Local Government Ombudsman

your complaint is about the very vague way unreasonable way in which the local authority dealing with this.

I cannot see what a tax solicitor or barrister can do about this. You want an indication of what the rates are going to be so that you can decide whether to continue with the business (which is what it is) or just simply living it or let it out as a rental property on an AST.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Can I help you any further with this? It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask. Kind regards Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Hello again.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Kind regards