ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

Originally a small speeding offence, I forgot to inform DVLA

Customer Question

Originally a small speeding offence, I forgot to inform DVLA of my change of address. I missed all notices and paperwork, and now have court dates
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've filled at Statutory Declaration and 1 visit to court
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i cant think of anything
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have pleaded not guilty, to the offence of not providing information of the driver, with mitigating circumstances that i was unaware of the original offence and that i hadn't informed the DVLA of a change of address. I'm now seeking advice on best way to plea, as i want to reduce stress it is causing and bring to a conclusion asap
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have filled a Statutory Declaration and explained my story in Court on 3/05/22. Court as adjourned and I have a new hearing date of 29/06/22 - where i have been asked to supply evidence of and the date that I informed the DVLA of my change of address. I have this evidence. I'm also attaching documents - Statutory Dec and other. Let me know if you need any more info.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for your patience and enquiry. As the matter is now before the court it has to be disposed of there. This means therefore that you would have to present the evidence on which you rely to the court.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Based on what you have submitted the prosecution may then decide to withdraw the case against you with respect to failing to provide the relevant information about the driver.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks. But i guess the prosecution may still decide either way and i'd like to know if i have any other options? How about if i were to change my plea to Guilty, with a reason. I am guilty of the original speeding offence but its questionable about presenting my information to the police for the reasons i mentioned. I want to get this resolved easily etc..Would the court look on this favorably if i change my plea and try to resolve quickly, saving everyone time and money etc
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

You may change your plea with respect to the speeding to guilty. You would receive credit for this. This however is a separate offence with respect to notifying them of the driver. You would therefore also have to decide whether to also plea guilty for this. It is for the prosecution to decide whether or not you having pleaded guilty for the speed to not pursue the other offence

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.
If you would like for me to review the attached documents I am happy to do so via our premium service at an additional cost.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi, thanks but that's not what I meant. I mean changing my plea with regard to the offence of Not giving information on the driver. The original speeding offence is not what i have been taken t court about. What are your views on changing plea with regard to the above please?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'd also like your views on whether i can still pay to make this all go away, as it's causing stress. The 1st correspondence i had was a letter from 'The London Collection and Compliance Centre' asking for £800 for failing to give information on Driver. Can i still do this?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

You can change your plea at any time before being sentenced. So you can do so when next you got to court. if you do a fine is likely to be imposed and that will conclude the matter,

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

I have already said that as this matter is before the court it has to be concluded at court. You no longer have the option of paying through the London Collection and Compliance Centre.