AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

I am a trustee of a discretionary trust. The other trustee

Customer Question

I am a trustee of a discretionary trust. The other trustee was my father who has died. I wish to appoint a second trustee and have power of appointment. What documentation do I need to fill out to do this?
JA: Estate laws vary by location. Where are you located?
Customer: England
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: the trust document
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 20 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No go ahead

In adding a Trustee you have to read through the Trust document to see if there are any specific provisions about appointing new Trustees. It might give power to a certain person to be able to appoint or change the Trustees and, if so, this will need to be followed. However, if there are no specific provisions or the person nominated in the Trust document is unable or unwilling to act then the general rules regarding appointment are set out in the Trustee Act 1925. This states that the other remaining Trustees can appoint a replacement or additional Trustees.

You need to fill out the Deed of Appointment of Additional Trustee(s). I will send you the link where you can get a copy of it.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No that’s great thank you. Does the document have to be registered anywhere?

If you have an existing Solicitor who helps you handle the Trust Document, you can submit the document to the Solicitor and may seek further advise after completing the Deed.

Thank you for your inquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.