JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I started to take out a subscription in January this year

Customer Question

Hi. I started to take out a subscription in January this year with eharmony. I started the process but at the end when I saw the commitment period and cost I did not complete. At that point there was no back button and no way to cancel. So I just left the screen but did not complete. I never used eharmony after that as I did not Sunday. They are now chasing me for money and threatening me. I’ve contacted PayPal who said to contact you I absolutely did not complete on the subscription and will continue to stand my ground in this
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve contacted PayPal I’ve told eharmony repeatedly that I did not complete on the subscription. They are saying I owe them £300.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: When I found out they had activated my subscription unlawfully I contacted PayPal who cancelled it at the end of feb
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (SVVZVVS)
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

It is a common theme with some dating sites (and other sites in general) in that they lock you in.

A contract can be completed online but from what you say, you simply left the site and did not complete the transaction. They have to prove there is a contract with yourself - until they do this, there is no contract in place and you should refuse any demands to pay.

You can tell them you will speak to Trading Standards Scotland - my view is you do this in any event given the underhand tactics of the site. You can reach Trading Standards here: https://www.tsscot.co.uk

If they did escalate, they may ask a debt collection company to write to you - which is all they can do as debt collection companies have no powers. You can just reply to refuse payment.

If they sued, it would also be a small claims case - no lawyer would be required for this. It is a very simple process and the claimant has to prove a) there is a binding contract in place and b) you are in breach of contract and c) they have incurred a loss.

It should be over quickly if they did pursue you in a small claims case - my view is you challenge it and continue to refuse to pay.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Very useful. Thanks
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

My pleasure, thank you, ***** ***** good evening.