How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1700
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

My legal question is to do with refunds. So, I signed up for

Customer Question

Hi! My legal question is to do with refunds. So, I signed up for an online Digital Art Program a month and a half ago-ish. Approximately 3 weeks in I was issued a full refund out of nowhere, which I did not request or want. It turned out to be a bug in they're system that caused them to think that I requested one. We ironed everything out and upon receiving the refunded money they sent me a new invoice and I paid it. They have a 14 day refund policy too by the way, so this was outside of that 14 days. Now 13 days since I paid that second invoice and signed back up, I have requested a new and genuine refund this time, due to me not being able to participate in the program any longer because of drastic changes in my life. Do I have grounds for a refund here? Thank you
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: This is all online. The original payment was made on the 03/05/22 but the second payment I made was made on the 03/06/22
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have requested a refund from them to which they have declined.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I do not think so!
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I think that is pretty much it.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
This is the most recent invoice.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
this is the original receipt
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I suppose my question is, which one of these is valid?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks in advance!
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

I see. Yes, you are indeed right. You are entitled to a refund since you were not able to receive the service that you've paid for. You should use it as grounds for your refund. If they still refuse, I would advise you to make small claims in court. Since you are owed a refund, you can use small claims. Small claims are also called money claims you don’t need a solicitor in making this claim.

But before you start a small claim, it would be advisable for you to try to solve the problem another way if you can, like by making a complaint.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

In making small claims, you will need to provide good evidence. It can be:

  • a letter or a receipt
  • estimates or invoices
  • a statement from someone who saw what happened

In this regard, you need to write a formal letter to the private seller you disagree with - they’re called the ‘defendant’. This is called a 'letter before claim' or a 'letter before action'. You'll need to do this even if you've already written to them to complain. If the letter before the claim doesn't resolve the problem, you can start your small claim by filling in a form. Print and download this form: Form N1,

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

If you need help with the N1 claim form, you can contact the County Court Money Claims Centre. You’ll need your case reference.

County Court Money Claims Centre

Telephone: 0300(###) ###-####/p>

Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm


Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you so much Martin! You're advice is greatly appreciated! And yes, when they initially refunded me, which like I said, I did not request atal, I was blocked from accessing the entire Programs content, community etc for nearly two weeks while I waited for the refund to make its way to my account so that I pay the new invoice and regain access.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
One last thing Martin, if you do not mind.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
They're an online institution. Its hard to find an address for them, but I think they are based in the EU. Although they're bank seems to be based in the US. How would the legal process work in such a case?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am based in Ireland by the way.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Oh, my apologies for the confusion. In making small claims in Ireland, you may follow these steps in this webpage to make an application for a claim. This claim can be made online.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No need to apologize! Thanks again Martin, You're too good!
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Oh, thank you so much. No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Will do! Thanks again and take care.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

No problem. Take care and have a great day.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.