MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have been told I owe 10.000 pounds for something I didn't

Customer Question

Hi I have been told I owe 10.000 pounds for something I didn't have .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Suffolk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Police crime number and and sent information to capquest
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was bankrupt in 2007 2008 and did not get a loan
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

You should first make sure that the debt isn't yours. You may be liable for repayments if you had any joint credit arrangements or guaranteed a loan or other contract for a third party. You might not have to pay a debt if:

• it’s been six years or more since you made a payment or were in contact with the creditor
  • there was a problem when you signed the agreement, for example, if you were pressured into signing it or the agreement wasn’t clear
  • the creditor didn’t check properly that you could afford the repayments when you signed the agreement

You need to examine your credit report with the credit reporting organisations. There will be a record of all recently missed payments, defaults, and legal actions initiated to recover debts.

I would advise you to write a letter against the creditor stating the debt was not yours. However, if the creditor keeps contacting you about a statute-barred debt after you’ve sent them the letter, you can complain to the creditor. If you’re not satisfied with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

Financial Ombudsman Service

Telephone: 0800(###) ###-####br>Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 1pm
Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I will try check everything and get back to you . Thankyou

No problem. You may always reach me here through the platform, should you have additional enquiries in the future.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.