james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My son has been"not able to attend revision sessions and end

Customer Question

Hi, my son has been"not able to attend revision sessions and end of y11 celebrations" for poor behaviour. This has been done without following the ordinary steps outlined in behaviour policy.
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Staffordshire
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: email head of college and headteacher
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  james bruce replied 20 days ago.
qw1n

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. yes it is a very frustrating issue and unjust.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No, I am not able to pay that amount of money. Can you help me over the chat?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.

End of year celebrations are normally held to allow student s to celebrate what they have achieved that past year etc. These are optional functions and the school / college is under no obligation  to allow students to attend. They can restrict access and stop those who's behaviour during the year has been poor. The school s usually take an approach of why reward bad behaviour. The students concerned are responsible for their actions.

If there is a school policy regarding this and the school has failed to follow the policy, then you would need to complain officially to the head and then the school governors.

However, at best all that may achieve is an apology nothing more.

If the even has taken place,thebn other more can be done.

Your son should then focus ready for year 12 and improve his behaviour so that he can attend the end year graduation at the end of year 12.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
As of yesterday he has not been allowed to attend revision sessions
The head says it is not an exclusion. Only "he is not allowed to attend revision sessions". Just choosing that wording because they know it is unlawful to exclude an student without a formal record.

If the revision sessions are part of the term time table then he should be allowed to attend unless excluded.

You should ask the head to put this in writing as if your son is not allowed to attend revision lessons then how is he not excluded? Say you need their written reply and justification so that yo can take legal advice and lodge a formal complain.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
They insist is not an exclusion. What wording should I use?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
this are the head´s words : Accordingly, the decision was made that Manuel's study leave would start yesterday, meaning that he would only be expected to attend school for his exams.

Is the revision sessions part of the normal school timetable, or is it extra which the school is providing? Agin if extra and not part of normal school sessions or lesson then it is optional.

Again ask the head in what way and under what condition is this not an exclusion.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok. thank you
I dont think i am going to bother with this anymore. My son is going to be left without end of year celebrations after a hard year. Also he has already missed the revision sessions for the exam on Monday. I would like to help other kids not to go through the same. Let's think that karma exists.

It has been a hard year around, especially for the youngsters. You would think the school would cut a bit of slack.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.