ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I was rushing to my train and I normally buy my ticket the

I was rushing to my train and I normally buy my ticket the night before. There are no barriers at my station and I only went to get my ticket up the stop before. I bought a ticket from Vauxhall station to London Waterloo but I travelled from byfleet and new haw and I when I realised I had forgotten to buy my ticket I panicked and bought one from Vauxhall station. The ticket man on the platform was very aggressive and I panicked and lied and said that I rushed through the barriers and Vauxhall so that’s why it must not have validated and then I was given a MG11 without the officer except leaning what he was doing. He was very aggressive and rude and it made me panic so I didn’t admit to what I had done and now I am terrified I will be taken to court
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: london waterloo
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: i was rushing for my train as I was going to be late for work. I normally buy my ticket online the night before but had been working late and get home after midnight so hadn’t bought my ticket. I didn’t realise until I was a stop away at Vauxhall and I panicked that I wouldn’t get through the barrier if I four a ticket for a train that wouldn’t get there till an hour later. I was stopped by a ticket officer who was very rude and aggressive and I lied and said I got on at Vauxhall. He said my ticket wasn’t validated and he didn’t believe me. He was very aggressive and I was panicking and felt intimidated so I didn’t know what to say so I stuck to my story as I was panicking. He then gave me a letter which said MG11 on it and I have googled it and now I’m terrified I am going to be sent to court as I lied due to panic and distress and this will ruin my life
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have never not bought a correct and valid ticket and if the officer wasn’t so aggressive I would have admitted my mistake but I didn’t as I felt very intimidated so I panicked and now I’m terrified that I won’t be given a fine but summoned to court
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am waiting to receive a letter in the post and I don’t know if I should in this letter admit to everything and explain why I was so terrified and ask to settle out of court, I wish I had admitted my fault as I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get through the barrier meaning I’d be late to work but I don’t know if this will harm my chances of not going to court
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I work with children and I am very worried about getting a criminal record

Thanks from your patience and enquiry. You are correct. You are likely to now receive a letter int he post with respect to the incident and request for you to give your account of what happened. If you admit liability you are likely to be fined and that would be the end of the matter. the matter would then not proceed to court. If you do not accept responsibility, the matter will proceed to court.

It is perhaps best for you to accept responsibility, explain your reasons for doing what you have done and ask for them to exercise their discretion in resolving this issue.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Would the fact that I lied to the ticket officer and didn’t admit what I had done harm that and cause then to proceed to court anyway?
This is the first time I’ve done this and certainly will be the last

No if you admit at this stage their is no need for them to go to court.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How likely is it that I would be taken to court and not offered a settlement?

Not likely

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can a new job force you to get the covid vaccine? Or say they won’t give you the job if you don’t get it?

If it is a part of their terms of their contract then they could require it yes.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What if they never told me this whilst offering me the job and I have already started on a freelance basis with my job to start on the 27th this month. and they have told me to quit my job. So if they don’t agree to work something out with me I will now have no source of income.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
COVID-19 Vaccination Status
Please note that we are now expecting all company members on the production to be fully vaccinated, including boosters.
All terms subject to the COVID-19 SOLT/BECTU Variation Agreement.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
This is what it states in my contract

This really is a novel area. Meaning, this has not yet been tested by the court. As such, I am u able to give a definitive answer on how this is likely to be treated.

The government had previously issued a directive to the effect that health workers were all to be vaccinated. The government has since withdrawn the directive. This may be an indication of the government’s view on mandatory vaccination.

There may be an argument to challenge it on the basis of it being a breach of a persons human rights to insist upon it. It may therefore be worth challenging the requirement particularly in light of you not having been notified of it prior to commencing work.