Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

We are both 78 and met 7 years ago. We are very close but

Customer Question

We are both 78 and met 7 years ago. We are very close but mainly live separately as my partner has Parkinson’s and is deteriorating. He has equipment in his own home. his two daughters have never accepted me and we fear if he goes into a care home they will stop me seeing him. Can they do this as we both know that Parkinson’s can cause a type of dementia.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Liverpool
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He has written a letter for me, but we feel they could still prevent me from seeing him
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so. We have vague,y thought about becoming partners, leaving our wills as they are. Mind to my daughter, his to his two girls, it worry that will antagonise them more.
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 18 days ago.

Good morning there, how do you do?

I am Solicitor4All a law expert with over 15years practice.

I will be helping you today.

Thank you for the inquiry.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through Please leave the inquiry with me and i will prepare a response for you here this morning. Thank you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I should say his two daughters have power of attorney. We don’t want it to change our circumstances as we realise that with my health problems I will be unable to care for him properly so if we became partners we would want nothing to change, but it would perhaps help us to feel assured they could not stop as seeing one another but if there is another way to insure this can’t happen we would consider it.
What would you advise be?

Thank you very much for your patience. Unfortunately if you are unmarried partners then they could if the worst was to happen and they were now left to make all decisions for him. Whilst he has his mental capacity it may be best to get a solicitor to draft a cohabitation agreement and to include therein his wishes for you to carry on seeing him if he was to go into a home if he was to lose his mental capacity. He would need to give his daughters this agreement whilst he is able to and they will feel more obliged to follow his wishes that way than if you gave them the agreement after the fact.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send me your message. I am always glad to clarify anything and to assist. All the best.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
You advertise as free, then asked for payment of £5. I do not want a telephone call I wanted a written answer to my question to show mt partner. I do not want to pay £44 for a telephone call. I have not received a written answer to my question. You Advertise as free. This is misleading please return my £5,

I am not sure what your last message refers. You should send a message to***@******.*** they would look into any queries.