How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32195
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Thames water opened an account under my name in my previous

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Thames water opened an account under my name in my previous address, the property was a shared accommodation with bills included, I recently was informed account was opened in my name with a high amount of unpaid dept, Thames water is saying only the landlord or the letting agency is responsible to ask them to remove my name from the account
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the letting agency they told me they will deal with it and stopped answering my calls
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have explained the matter to Thames water which didn’t work

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

  1. I am sorry to read of the above. For the avoidance of doubt, you are satisfied that you have neither contacted Thames water yourself to open an account nor signed any authority for the landlord or agent to do so on your behalf. Is that correct please?
  2. do you still have a copy of your tenancy agreement showing that bills were included?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have not given anyone any authority to open the account and I have the tenancy agreement that shows bills were included
Thank you. In terms if the water company you will likely wish to start by raising a formal complaint and putting them to strict proof in respect of providing you with evidence you authorised the account to be opened  and making a request for all documents pertaining to your account and recordings as applicable to be given to you under the data protection act. 

The burden of proof is upon the water company to evidence that you authorised the account and from what you say I don't see that they are likely to be able to do that. You will be able to refer any complaint if you are not satisfied with their response to the council for water for independent determination on the earlier of their full response or 8 weeks whichever is the sooner.

Even if the water company were successful in charging you under the account from what you say you would have a counterclaim available against the landlord as the landlord took liability for bills under the tenancy.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for the advice it’s very helpful

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok, I will get back to you
Thank you

I'm very glad the above is of some assistance

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you