JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

What sort of figures would one receive for a solicitor

What sort of figures would one receive for a solicitor breaching data protection by sharing your bank details to another person, without your consent?

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

Just a note that we don't give legal advice as we are not a law firm (we are an internet forum).

Only a law firm can assess your case if you feel that your data rights have been breached.

Bank details may be sensitive data and not supposed to be sent to third parties without your authorisation. If you had a loss due to the breach, you could indeed claim damages.

The following link gives a useful guide as to figures : https://www.forbessolicitors.co.uk/personal/data-breach-claims.htm

If it's your own solicitor who did this, you could make a complaint to them and then ask the Legal Ombudsman to step in.

Any breaches need to be reported to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) however - by telephone on 0303(###) ###-#### They also have a "live chat" facility on their site - you can visit it here: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

The ICO can levy a large fine if a breach has occurred - you should report this to them in any event.

As for damages, it depends on each case but it could be between £3,000 and £7,000 for bank / financial data breaches - the courts have not set exact brackets yet as the GDPR law is still fairly new.

You should consider a no win no fee law firm - you would pay nothing up front and you are also protected from legal costs if you lose.

Here are a few you could try :

1. https://www.simpsonmillar.co.uk/data-breach-claims/

2. https://www.donoghue-solicitors.co.uk/data-protection-claims/

3. https://www.databreachlawyers.co.uk/no-win-no-fee

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks Jim for the response
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can a solicitor (no-win no fee) claims their costs from the other side?

Hi, they will try but if they are unable to, the success fee they charge goes towards their costs. A success is usually around 25% of the money they manage to recover for you. So if they recovered £10K then they send you £7500

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thanks

No problem, thanks, ***** ***** good evening.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Have a good evening too

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Jim
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have a query regarding this question
Hi, please set out the query and I will reply when I am back online in an hour or so, thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Jim, for a claim for compensation under GDPR is the defendant (opposing party) liable for legal costs
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’ve read that claims like this can be put under the small claims court for compensation under GDPR

If it's under £10,000 in value then yes, that's correct. No lawyer would be required as if you use one, and win, you cannot recover their costs as a general rule

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What I don’t understand is that how is the solicitor Simpson Millar going to recover their costs?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They’ve anticipated their costs to be around £3-4K and they say all if not majority is paid by the other party and the court will order costs etc
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry I meant they have estimated their costs to be around £4-7k

OK, they have to estimate their costs and tell you. As you are liable for their costs. But they will seek to recover most of them from the other side you win. And if there is a shortfall, you agree to have a set percentage deducted from your winnings.

It's a typical no win no fee agreement so I wouldn't worry about it - they seem to think you have a good case which is great news

*I'm now offline until tomorrow morning, thanks*

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How can this be though if it goes within small claims?
They may think the small claims limit won't apply which is fine - you would need to ask them. 

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks
My pleasure
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi there, I went to Simpson Millar and they said my case would only be worth £750 approximately or so
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
they wouldn’t be able to act for me

OK, if you try the other ones. I will in the meantime send you a premium offer service as we are over 7 days since my answer on 17th June.

Many thanks,

Jim