ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

My husband wants to divorce me I have 2 kids, no. He has

Customer Question

My husband wants to divorce me I have 2 young kids
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no. He has just announced it today. He only gives me £500 a month and I doing work don’t work
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: no the uk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I a: sorry to hear what is happening.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

You would be required to apply to the court for an order with respect to finances. You may ask the court to order for you to be paid maintenance for yourself. This is referred to as spousal maintenance. You may also seek maintenance for the children.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

You may contact the child maintenance services for them to assist with respect to this.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’m in pieces my husband has been Verbally abusive for years yet he’s the one walking out
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

Outside or maintenance you may also claim for an interest in any assets acquired during the marriage, you may ask for this to be divided equally between you both.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry to hear of all of this. The issue of maintenance and divorce are two different issues. As such, if you wish for the financial issue to be dealt with you would either need to make the application yourself or have a solicitor assist with the application.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

you may locate a local family solicitor to you via the below link

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I own half a house is he entitled to that’? Or a share in it?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

Just a share. The house would be divided equally between you both.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
My mother owns one half I own the other
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
His name isn’t on the property I don’t work
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

I now Understand. It means therefore that he would be entitled to a share in your half of the property,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
but I don’t work and I have 2 kids under 18 how could I give him 250k? I can’t sell my house
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
You may ask the court to take all these factors into account in reducing his share. Chances are he will get something the question is how much.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I see. It’s just that if I’m the sole cared for the kids and have no career how am I supposed to give him anything
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sole carer I meant: he has a decent income and I have nothing
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

I understand. As he is a higher earner you may want to consider requesting spousal maintenance form him.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I appreciate that but that’ still doesn’t answer the question of where would I find the money to give him from the property which he is apparently entitled to
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

You would either have to remortgage the property or have the property sold. This may not be the news you are looking for.  I however am only able to tell you the law even if it is unfavourable to you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
But I am not eligible for a mortgage given that I don’t work. And my mum owns half so why should she be forced out of a home since she’s not in this marriage
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How can I sell half a house the other half is in my Mum’s name
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I thought the law protected children is it too late to put the property in trust
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

You had not mentioned your mother. How is the property being held with your mother?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She owns half of it and lives there
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

He would therefore be able to pursue you for half of your interest in the property. The fact that your mother owns half of the property really does not prohibit hi. Still being entitled to an interest in it unfortunately.