RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I'm a trustee for a church/charity. We are putting on a

Customer Question

I'm a trustee for a church/charity. We are putting on a retreat for our ladies. One of them is blind and has a carer. As a reasonable adjustment, we have said her carer can come along free of charge. However, she is now claiming that legally we should also pay for the hourly cost of the carer as well. We have sought advice on this but haven't received any clarity as yet. Can you help?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've said the step take above.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  I am just looking this over for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

It is impossible to provide a definitive answer as the word "reasonable" does not have any definition and is dependent on the specific situation.  However, if the retreat is optional and could be seen as a "privilege" I don't see that a it would be reasonable for your to incur these charges, the fact that you are allowing the carer to come along for free means you aware not costing the individual any additional costs to come along to something which is not a necessity.  In realty, if they felt this was not acceptable, it would require them to take the matter to court and given this issue the cost of doing so would likely far outweigh the rewards.  If the retreat was "mandatory" that may be a different story, however as it would be a privilege I don't see it would be a legal necessity for you to incur these costs. For example, if they wanted to go on holiday, it would not be up to the holiday provider to cover the costs of the carer, but offering free travel for them would not be seen as reasonable.  I hope that makes sense.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Many thanks for this. If we have further questions, I will come back to you or follow up on the links you kindly provided.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.
You are very welcome and I wish you all the best.