How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 859
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

How do I sue a person who stole a very large insurance

Customer Question

How do I sue a person who stole a very large insurance policy from me & lied to a High Court Judge forcing me to sell the home I owned, stealing £180,000 from me, when the Estate was only owed £27,500?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: GB.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Reported it to the Police who said they could not help. My sons wrote emails complaining asking for my money back - everything was simply ignored. Can I employ a solicitor to issue a writ for damages & financial loss by his unlawful, corrupt, malicious actions?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online. You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so. Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about this. It seems that this would be a civil case where you will be alleging fraud, misrepresentation and claim your loss. You can certainly instruct a solicitor, but firstly you will need to arrange a meeting and ask them to review your files so that they know the case is not frivolous and has merits.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

This may save you a lot of money!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Does a civil case have any time limits? When you say Civil - what does that actually mean. Surely having stolen that huge amount is it not a criminal case for embezzlement?
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

Usually you will have to take action within 6 years. Civil case relate to a  private dispute between individuals or organisations. Criminal cases involve action that is considered to be harmful to society.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

I don't know you case but if the Police states that this does not fall under a criminal hat then it is likely it doesn't.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to get back with anything else. I will help to the extent I can.