How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheLawLDN Your Own Question
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 195
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
TheLawLDN is online now

Morning. I have received a single justice procedure notice

Customer Question

Morning. I have received a single justice procedure notice with regard to a speeding offence. I am not sure why I have received though as I paid the fine and set off my license 3 months ago.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in London, the offence was on the M4 in Bristol.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I paid the original fine and set me license in March, so I thought the matter was concluded. I received the SJP yesterday and have done nothing with it yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I think that is it.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

  1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Good morning. thank you for the notes.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I will try to assist with your query.

Could you please upload the SJP notice here, after redacting the personal information?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Please find attached a copy of the SPJ charges.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Bear with me.

And please consider that documents examination would be a Premium Service to be arranged separately, but I am making an exception for a single document :)

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Can I ask you what is your situation with penalty point on your driving licence?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have no points at the moment.. I have paid the £100 fine and accepted this offence would put 3 points on my license
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Unfortunately, exceeding speed limits is an offence. And exceeding the highest speed limit, is a serious one.

In this case, you have received a notice for a Single Justice Procedure.

This kind of notice is sent by the Police when they want to commence Court proceedings for a driving offences, proceeding for which a hearing could not be held if the Magistrate thinks there is no need for it to be held.

You have the option to plead guilty or not guilty, and, if you plead guilty, you have the option to present a mitigation in writing to claim mitigating circumstances to try to minimise the penalty.

However, this is not something for do-it-yourself, and you should consult a motoring solicitor, for a thorough assessment of your circumstances.

This is advisable even more considering that the recorded speed was only 10mph above the speed limit and I understand this is your first offence.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

You may find a motoring solicitor on the website of the Law Society (see disclaimer above) or browsing the web.

Please take action immediately, as you have to comply strictly with the deadline in the notice.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish.