How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17087
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Please. I’ve just moved into Haringey, N22, I’ve opened a

Customer Question

Good morning! Yes, please. I’ve just moved into Haringey, N22
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’ve opened a account on the council website , started paying the council tax and started green waste collection, paying for it
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: N22 5NT Wood Green
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the problem is that despite thd first time, which is almost ove month ago, km not able to have my food waste collected, despite several emails sent to report the missed collections.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I don’t have green waste collected either. Some neighbours told me that food waste is never collected in the area and that they put it into the not recycling ove,
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

There is a solution as you are in dispute with the council. You pay council tax and yet they do not collect the waste - you have also endured missed collections so this is their fault, clearly.

You should first make a complaint to the council and you can do that here:

They have to deal with your complaint - you can send them a letter, an email or call them - just tell them why you are unhappy and that you want to make a formal complaint and ask them to resolve this.

If you ask them to send you their final decision as soon as possible - you need that before you can then involve the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) :

The LGO may be able to help but you would need to firstly exhaust the council's complaints procedure, unless you have done this already.

As it is an arbitration scheme, the Ombudsman’s decision would be binding upon the council if you accepted the decision.

I am sure this will resolve the dispute - it is also free to use and no lawyer is required either. It is set up for consumers such as yourself and is also quicker than court action.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you. Enjoy your weekend
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

My pleasure and same to you, thanks