How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheLawLDN Your Own Question
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 195
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
TheLawLDN is online now

Would you know if I qualify for the cost of living payment.

Customer Question

Hi. Would you know if I qualify for the cost of living payment. The information states the assessment periof that ended in the period 26 April to 25 May. My own assesment period was 21 April to 20 May but on this month I received £0 as my now ex employer had paid money owed to me which cancelled out the £324 UC to £0 due. I have been on UC for a while unfortunately and hope to get off it but this extra payment would help. Could you advise at all please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have already sent it
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Northern Ireland
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am just wanting advice on this query as cannot find confirmation on any sites
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

  1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I will try to assist with your query.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi. Can you help with my initial query
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I can't see multiple queries (which I could not answer anyway in one chat). What do you mean by "initial query"?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No, I appreciate the offer but £44 at this time I cannot pay for a call.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Oh, I did not make any offer.

That is a Premium Service offered by Just Answer, not me.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry. I was trying to ascertain if I qualify for the cost of living support payment.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I provided a detailed paragraph earlier...can u see it
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Yes, I can see it.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Please consider this service is not meant for legal advice.

Did you receive any communication about the £0 payment for UC?

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

I mean, any communication informing you that you would not be paid UC because you received arrears from your employment?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. No problem. Yes it is on a journal you log into. I just do not know if gov mean you had to have a payment in their qualifying period from UC. I am assuming I am not entitled from my own reading of the information
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Universal credit is a benefit the entitlement to which is subject to certain conditions and requirement.

If you received money from an employment, you might no longer qualify.

You should contact the relevant office to check this.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish.


Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It just means that I may not qualify for the gov support payment due to having technically had £0 UC payment. It is but at same time not completely clear.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

You are welcome.