MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

My brother has recently died and I have to prove to his bank

Customer Question

hello my brother has recently died and I have to prove to his bank that I am his sister his next of kin how do I do this?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have both our birth certificates i have his bank cards etc but i suppose not much else
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my brother was not married
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No I just need to know how I can prove I am his sister

In that case, you need to follow these documents to prove that you are his sister.

• The original Death Certificate, Fact of Death, or Coroner's Certificate.
  • The will to confirm who is entitled to deal with the estate.
  • If there's no will, a Grant of Probate to confirm who the executor of the estate is.
  • Proof of the next of kin's identity and address.

If you're the next of kin, you'll need to make sure that all documents are original and that at least one piece of ID contains your full name.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How do I get a Grant of Probate?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 18 days ago.

You may check if you can apply for probate. Only certain people can apply for probate. Who can apply depends on whether or not there’s a will.

If there’s a will, executors named in it can apply.

If there’s not a will, the closest living relative can apply.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 17 days ago.

You can apply for probate yourself online or by post. This can be cheaper than paying a probate practitioner (such as a solicitor) to apply for you.

https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate/apply-for-probate

This is the address you need to apply.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.