How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3574
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I agreed to purchase some furniture for £350 then changed my

Customer Question

I agreed to purchase some furniture for £350 then changed my mind . The seller is threatening to take me to court for breach of contract through small claims court . Can he do this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lake District UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have texted apologised informed circumstances have changed informed his one week before i was due to pay and collect that i would not be purchasing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The person who was selling the furniture is moving house at the end of the month
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

You have potentially breached the agreement assuming this is a private sale because an agreement was formed for you to purchase the furniture.

Therefore they can potentially take you to court to enforce the agreement in question.

Hopefully the person will not consider court action to enforce the agreement assuming you do not purchase the furniture.

I hope I have clarified the position.


Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 13 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given. Thanks and stay safe

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This person has now threatened small claims court, how do you think i should respond?
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 13 days ago.

I suggest you try to persuade them a contract was not in place but I am afraid you may struggle to convince a judge that a legal binding agreement was not in place from the circumstances provided.