Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My letting agency sent me an email on the 9th of May - with

Customer Question

Hi, my letting agency sent me an email on the 9th of May - with an inspection letter attached that I did not see or reply to. They made no efforts to contact me through any other means. They did a house inspection on the 14th of June and used a key. I was unaware this was taking place until I received an email from them regarding extra beds etc. Are they legal allowed enter my property with written waring but no consent?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Evercreech, Somerset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacting you
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had kitten staying in the house that I would like to keep but this wasn't a part of my agreement, I haven't had time to enquire about the wild kittens being allowed to stay as I'm extremely busy in the month of June. At the start of my contract the only request I had was to ensure that they did not carry out an inspection in June as I would be completely unavailable
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.

Yes they are absolutely allowed to do that, the contract will state they have a right to do that and statute says the landlord and by extension their agent has a right to enter with 24 hours notice for maintenance and legal reasons e.g. to get a new gas safety certificate. An inspection would also fall under that category. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay cool, and if I want to keep the wild kittens and they don't approve my request do they have the right to evict me? What happens when you enter a contract with no pets but find some along the way?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.

They would not be able to evict you but could ask you to get rid of the kittens. If you refused they might be able toe evict you at that stage under a s.8 procedure for breaching the tenancy agreement. It should be noted though the government is introducing a law which will force a landlord to accept pets and the court will be mindful of this if this matter got to the courts. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Happy days! Thank you :) House has a cat flap and all so fingers crossed the landlady won't mind

Hopefully not, take care