Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

My partner took his car to an official car dealership

My partner took his car to an official car dealership because the oil light kept coming on intermittently. He told them the car was vibrating above 2000 RPM and that he thought it might be a potential fuel injector issue. The dealership said it was potentially a sensor oil pressure sensor issue but they did identify that fuel injector was leaking as my partner had suggested. They did not say they needed to keep the vehicle but advised he booked the car back in; to have the injector cleaned and a new seal put on. They did not tell him or make it seem like it was any type of urgent matter nor did they bring up the oil light coming on other than to say it could be a sensor fault that needs more investigation.My partner booked the car back in for a weeks time to get the issues identified look into/repaired; however 3 days later the turbo failed causing the engine to stop. According to looking online the turbo fails due to a lack of oil, I believe that their failure to diagnose the problem and fix it when it was brought to them on Monday; led to the lack of oil that caused the turbo to fail and damage the engine on Thursday.The second cause I have discovered for a turbo failure could be a poor quality turbo fitted when the vehicle was manufactured, as a turbo is meant to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Either way this has gone from a minor repair to a major repair costing thousands of pounds, and I would like to know if someone can advise me whether or not I have a case for professional negligence… the car was brought in before the engine was damaged their failure to find the fault and fix it led to the engine becoming damaged; I don’t see why especially as My partner took the car to the official dealership and manufacturer not a backstreet mechanic why they didn’t pick up on this issue before it essentially caused the car to be a write off.Can anyone please advise whether there could be a case to answer. Thank you.

A very good day to you there, how do you do?

My name is Solicitor4All a law expert with over 15years practice. I will be helping you today. Thank you for the inquiry.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through Please leave the inquiry with me and i will prepare a response for you here this afternoon. Thank you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok great thank you.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you summarise whether or not you think I have any chance of getting the dealership to pay for the repair? I can answer other questions you need; I’m currently out so I can’t take a call.
Thank you for your patience. I am sorry to hear of this. If you contracted them to inspect the vehicle and you paid them for the service then their diagnosis should reasonably have picked on the issues and advised you whether the vehicle was roadworthy for you to keep driving. If you did not pay for this check and it was just a uick view to give you an indication of what could have been the matter then they would not have had a duty of care tp so more than what they did. There has to be the contractual relationship for them to have had the obligation to diagnosis and to advise on next steps. The booking in if it was to fully investigate that would suggest to me that the time you went they were not engaged to do a full comprehensive inspection. Only if they had the duty of care would you take it the next step to ask if they employed reasonable care and skill in conducting the assessment. For this an independent expert would need to give the opinion and if it is supportive you can sue them for professional negligence.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to assist and clarify if you return for further guidance. All the best

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The work was officially booked into the workshop and I have a document showing he paid £130 for them to officially check the vehicle; they also sent an MOT style video with the car up on an overhead ramp in the workshop… any advice would be appreciated as they are going to call on Monday. Also when do I officially consult someone over this? I will be expected to pay soon do I pay and then try to get my money back or do I refuse? Thanks in advance.
Thank you for your message. You say to them today when they call, they gave a diagnosis and failed to Advise the vehicle was not roadworthy and needed to be repaired without being driven and with immediate effect and as such that failure  has led you to thd loss that you suffered. You don’t pay at this stage, This is to enable you to get an independent expert opinion to confirm your statement is correct. If they come and say no engineer would have been able to say the car was not roadworthy or to advise you to stop using it in the interim you would struggle to make a claim for professional negligence.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for all of your help.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am delighted that you are satisfied with my reply and wish you all the very best in resolving this matter.