How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6175
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I’ve got a joint mortgage can I take my name off the

Customer Question

I’ve got a joint mortgage can I take my name off the mortgage and put my daughter’s name on it
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’ve got a joint mortgage can I take my name off the mortgage and put my daughter’s name on it On my half of the mortgage
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am married but only in paper we live separate lives
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 17 days ago.

Hello, how are you today? 

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read it, and if I do, they will appear below. It is important you answer all the questions I ask, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response. JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Please confirm that you have read and understood this message and then we can begin.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 17 days ago.


Expert:  SASH_Law replied 17 days ago.

In short, as you are married and it is a joint mortgage, you cannot remove your name from it without first getting agreement from your spouse and from the mortgage company. Your daughter will also have to show that she can finance the purchase.

Otherwise, without agreement from your spouse, the only way this can be achieved is if a court orders it during divorce financial proceedings.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 17 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No thank you
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 17 days ago.

You're welcome.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading of a new thread. Alternatively, once you have rated this question, you will get the option to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. Then, when you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law.

Please note that there is no need to respond to this message.

Thanks for using JA!

All the best!