Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My deeds say in the first schedule that my garden must be

My deeds say in the first schedule that my garden must be used as a garden. It does not say “lawn”. I want to create a permeable driveway over half of my sole owned grassed area. The house is 50yrs old. Ta!
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Barnet, London EN5 4DR
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none. Application for a dropped kerb asks about covenants. Spoken to a builder but nothing else.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no.

You can do that if you wish to do so, as you say the schedule does not preclude that use. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. It does not preclude that use specifically and I understand that I cannot build a structure on it, but does a driveway constitute a “structure”?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No, not tonight, I prefer online.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
can a driveway be in a garden?

A driveway is not a structure, a structure would be a building such as a shed for example. A driveway could potentially be a garden but also importantly I gather half will be the driveway and half the grass so in essence it is half whatever material you put down for the driveway/garden and half grass or whatever you have on the other side. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you. Much appreciated.

Happy to help take care