How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 859
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

I have alnadlord who is trying to evict someone under a

Customer Question

I have alnadlord who is trying to evict someone under a section 8 for non payment of rent. I have registered on the PCOL and have made the claim in my lettings company name. He is based abroad so can I go to court in his place?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Englan
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Issued Section 8 notice and issued claim on PCOL.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online. You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so. Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 15 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, only lawyers can go to court in someone's place. He will have to appoint a solicitor / barrister or appear in court in person.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I emailed the court and asked them and they said that as I had made the claim in my lettings agency name on his behalf then that was fine. Can only solicitors etc register for PCOL?
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 15 days ago.

Ok, then if a claimant is the letting agent who has the right to make a claim then you should be fine. However, if the tenant argues that his contract is direct with the landlord, your claim will fail.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay. Thank you.
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 15 days ago.

Pleasure, many thanks for using our service.