Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have a question I hope you can answer - I’ve paid a

Customer Question

Good morning - I have a question I hope you can answer - I’ve paid a builder in excess of £40k fir works including fitting a new kitchen, digging a hole for a sunken swimming pool and also laying a large new patio- we have an issue with the patio in that some of the slabs are starting to come loose. On inspection it appears to me that although the builder has put down a hard sub base, he hasn’t put down a bed of sand on top of the sub base to lay the slabs
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: onto. In addition to this error, he appears to have used the ‘spot’ method for cement- I don’t think that this meets buildings regulations
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we live in wales
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We did have a defect report drawn up, but the expert failed to notice this unbelievably
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 14 days ago.

A very good morning to you there, how do you do?

My name is Solicitor4All a law expert with over 15years practice. I will be helping you this morning. Thank you for the inquiry.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through Please leave the inquiry with me and i will prepare a response for you here this morning. Thank you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also, we didn’t do via planning permission, so I’m not sure if I can insist building regulations are adhered to. Every website I’ve looked at about how to Kay having slabs says you must have a bed of sand on top of the sub base. Also, some websites say NEVER to use a spot method for cement
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We are currently threatening him to take him to court over this, but he’s currently denying he’s done a bad job
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The builder also got his own expert report done and his expert said that slabs were coming loose due to grouting between slabs not being complete - that expert also failed to notice that there was no sand layer between the sub base and the patio slabs and they also failed to notice that the unrecommended ‘spot’ method of laying slabs had been used
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
https://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1#indhow
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/How_to_lay_block_paving
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi - just wondering how the response is coming along?
Thank you very much for your patience. Your claim would be based on failure to employ reasonable care and skill and damages for getting the remedial work done. I appreciate what you say about what he may and may not have done right but what will Matter if you are going to court with this is independent expert opinion that is civil procedure rules (CPR) compliant. If his expert opinion isn’t CPR compliant it is not worth the paper it is written on. So whether there should have been a solid base or use of sand is something an expert must say in this type of report for you to file your claim in the county court.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. I am always glad to assist and to clarify anything for you. All the best.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ThNk you for your response

You are welcome