12826847

I need some advice, I asked an ex partner for my valuables

Customer Question

Hello, I need some advice, I asked an ex partner for my valuables back. However, I still hadn't received them, what can I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stoke on Trent, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted them through social media, text & via WhatsApp. I got blocked on two and he involved his mum
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: His mum sent me messages, saying she'll charge me for delivery, unsent messages on their end, said that they left the stuff outside Property and sent proof but no evidence was given
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.
Is it irreplaceable stuff?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hard to replace because it's expensive
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

You have two options really. You won’t have to do either.

The first is to sue him for the actual value at the small claims court.

The second is to seek an order to deliver them up which is generally used if its irreplaceable stuff like a dog or a passport or the like.

Either way, you need to warn him in writing and give him 14 days to deliver up or you will sue. It won’t come to that. He will hand them over.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How can I go about writing to them?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Just send him a letter.  It doesn't have to be anything formal.

Email is ideal because its traceable.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Who do I contact when they hadn't?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

What do you mean?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi, I received the video of them dropping the stuff off and it's not there. However, there were comments made within the video
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

So they say they've done it?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
They said they had but its not there
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

how do you know a third party hasn't removed it?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I went to check the cameras however, the place that has cameras is closed
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

You do need to get to the bottom of that.

No point in legal action against him if so.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The only video I have is from them. However, I'm not sure if they picked it back up and took it as its no longer there, I need to get the footage
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Yes.  Without that  there is no point in suing.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I will see if they're open tomorrow and ask them
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Good

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
In the meantime, is there anything else I can do? I have kept recordings from them just in case
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

No, this will be critical.

There is no point in doing anything until you've identified what happened.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.

If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi, I found the stuff. However, bank statements are missing and as well two boxes. I couldn't get footage as place is fully closed
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

There is no point in suing him if you cannot identfify whether a third party intervened

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello, just a quick enquiry his mum is threatening that she'll bill me for my stuff and anytime I had spent there, is this legal?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

spent where?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I used to live at her house with him for a couple of months, there was no documents or rent agreed and she has threatened a bill for me to pay
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

No, don't worry.  there was no rental agreement.

Don't have any thing to do with her.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay, thank you! In her voice message she stated that I'd hear from her solicitor & they both will be coming up for a "bill" for everything. Wanted to be sure
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Welcome.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is it worth keeping any screenshots of them?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Wouldn't do any harm.