JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

We had an easyJet flight from Aberdeen to London Gatwick due

Customer Question

We had an easyJet flight from Aberdeen to London Gatwick due to fly out at 6.15am yesterday. My wife and I planned to fly from Gatwick to Morocco for our honeymoon. They announced that the flight would be delayed until 4pm only a couple of hours before the flight was due to take off. Then, half an hour before 4pm, they delayed it again to 8.40pm. My wife and I were so frustrated and tired so we left the airport to come back later when the flight would go out (airport staff said this was fine).
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: When we arrived back at the airport, the flight had taken off early and our bags were on the flight. We now need to fly to Gatwick and find our bags and our honeymoon has been ruined. There was a massive security breach at the airport as that plane should not have been allowed to fly off with our bags. This has caused us great psychological and financial hardship as we have now lost money on flights, hotels and we've lost countless days from our honeymoon.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I believe Aberdeen Airport and easyJet have seriously made errors. The easyJet app should have updated to show the updated flight time which had left earlier. The airport should never have let the bags go on the flight without us. This is a serious security breach on their part and they are having to now carry out a review into this error. Do we have a case against either themselves or easyJet?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue and of the impact this has had upon you.

You are consumers and as such you have rights if things go wrong. Clearly, both made errors here which led to your loss and this extends to the lost days from the honeymoon too. Both provide a service and both failed to provide a service which was supposed to be carried with reasonable care and skill.

You can claim for your outlay and a further sum (due to negligence) - as for stress and inconvenience you could also claim a further sum though you mention psychological issues - I presume you have not sought medical treatment for that. If you have, it may justify a personal injury action if you have been diagnosed with a psychological condition.

It isn't easy to put a figure on a claim like yours - not only that, if you have no lawyer, they will make life generally difficult for you and if any offers are forthcoming, they will "low-ball" you.

For that reason I would say to stand the best chance to recover a reasonable sum, you use a law firm - we cannot do this for you and we can't offer legal advice because we are not a law firm (we are an internet forum).

I will set out a few firms you could approach on that basis, as follows :

1. https://www.jacksonboyd.co.uk/our-services/dispute-resolution/consumer-disputes/

2. https://joneswhyte.co.uk/consumer-disputes-know-your-rights-a-look-at-your-rights-under-consumer-rights-act-2015/

3. https://mjclaw.co.uk/consumer-disputes/

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you so much, we will seek advice from those links you have provided. Have a great day.Thanks,
Adib
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

And same to you, many thanks