How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7543
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Hiya, I am looking to seek advice on a big amount of money I

This answer was rated:

Hiya, I am looking to seek advice on a big amount of money I am owed by my ex boyfriend, who has blackmailed me into giving it to him. It has been over a year but I am have been worried to take it further the whole time and getting the court involved. Would this affect trying to get it all back, Please could you advise
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hampshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t taken any steps, this is the first step I have asked him for it multiple times and received abuse over messages trying to do so
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No this is all
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

How much money is involved, how dod you come to give him the money?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** around £3,000 this was over periods of different months, I gave him this money as he Manipulated me into giving it to him and he was in dept with people for the wrong reasons and he was even threatening me with taking his own life

was the money give as a loan or gifted to him?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It was transferred over to him and I would have all proof of bank statements and messages about this money

I understand you gave him money, but in law, if it was loaned then it is repayable. If it was given / gifted then it is not repayable.

Do you have proof the money was loaned to him and that you expected it to be repaid?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do have proof of many messages and bank statements

bank statements do not confirm whether the money was a loan or a gift, it simply shows money was given to him.

Do your messages show the money to be a loan and that you want repaying?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok no worries and yes they do they state that I gave him it as a loan and that I want the money back to be re-paid to me. He replies with messages that I will never get it back and verbal messages etc

understood. Then as you have proof of it being loaned it is repayable.

If he wont repay, then the only way to move forward would be a money claim against him at court.

The first stage to that is to send him a "letter before claim" This sets out your claim against him, what it is for the amount and gives a date to pay you or face court action.

Then if he does not pay, you start your money claim against him.

I have attached a template letter that you could use and a link to the money claim site.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much, this is much appreciated ! Kindest Regards

Also if he is becoming aggressive, threatening etc, that can be reported to the police.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you yes I will do so if any of this happens, if I claim against him if he doesn’t pay back can this be done via the gov website ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’ve just never done anything like this before

Yes that is correct, send the letter first, then if he does not pay, you start the money claim on line

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** *****’t have any more questions this has been very helpful I appreciate it

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you