james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I was arrested in March for GBH section 20. I'm a front line

I was arrested in March for GBH section 20. I'm a front line security officer, and whilst working a male customer was fighting, refusing to leave and was being aggressive towards me. I put him on the floor and in the process he allegedly now has life changes ligament damage to his shoulder. The police released me without charge under further investigation. It's been on going since. I have numerous videos showing that the alleged victim has full use of his shoulder. Is there anything I can do?? All solicitors are saying we can't do anything because I haven't been charged. It's been passed to the CPS and got sent back because they want more evidence. I've worked security for 25 years and never had any problems. Just think it's really unfair for me to lose everything, when I believe his injury shouldn't even be GBH.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Wales
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Been arrested and released without charged under investigation
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only what I said in my first chat
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
is there anything I can do?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Rather chat on here

Unfortunately, the other solicitors are correct, there is nothing you can di at this stage. It is very much the waiting game.

Clearly the CPS are not willing to proceed as the case stands which is good.

Therefore if it has been returned to the police to seek more information and evidence, then the police are going to have to dig deeper.

They may need to obtain medical records for the person, hospital notes if he went etc.

Further witnesses to be spoken to and so on.

There is nothing the defence can do at this time, as frustrating as that is.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can we use all the videos of him at all?? Or would we have to wait until it goes to court? Also does ligament damage count as GBH?? I'm no expert but I didn't think permanent ligament damage would be able to be diagnosed just two weeks after the Incident??

Yes video evince is good evidence for the defence. If the police have not had this yet, then they should be given a copy.

There needs to be ‘really serious harm’ caused to the victim for an assault to be classed as grievous bodily harm. For example, if injury resulted in permanent disability, loss of sensory function or visible disfigurement, then it would usually amount to really serious harm. Otherwise it would be more likely ABH.

ligament damage to his shoulder would need to have been a result of the alledged assault and not re existing damage.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We told the police we had all video evidence and they told us to keep it safe. They said it was too late to use it now. So do you think we could put the videos in now that the CPS have sent it back? Also they suspended my SIA license straight away so I'm unable to work. Is there any chance I could get this overturned as there seems to be no time limit on how long the investigation could take??

Yes the cctv / video is still evidence. Keep it safe . Keep a copy for your defence and offer a copy to the police.

It is unlikely the licen e will be reactivated until the investigation is concluded.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.