How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1717
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I'm based in Nigeria and my kids are in the UK with their

This answer was rated:

I'm based in Nigeria and my kids are in the UK with their mom but she isn't giving me access so I want the kids back in Nigeria
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: The divorce is ongoing in Nigeria. I live in Nigeria. I haven't filed any paperwork in the UK. She came to the UK last year on a study visa. I have contributed to all the kids expenses from flights out of Nigeria, to Accomodation in UK, feeding etc I am Nigerian citizen. My kids are USA citizens. Wife is Nigerian citizen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the short term study visa?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have a lawyer in Nigeria handling the divorce. She signed an agreement before leaving Nigeria to always provide me access to the kids while in the UK. So far, she has reneged on the agreement

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

In general, your partner cannot legally stop you from having access to your child unless continued access will be of detriment to your child's welfare. A mother cannot stop a father from seeing his child unless the court orders.

If you have an informal agreement, or no agreement, and your partner decides to deny you access to your child, you may need to take a number of actions, including:

  • discussing the problem and trying to resolve it between yourselves without confrontation
  • consulting a family solicitor for advice, who can send a legal letter setting out your proposals
  • referring the issue to a local family mediator for alternative dispute resolution
  • applying to court for a child arrangements order (interim decisions may be needed before the court has full information to make a final order, so be prepared for several court attendances throughout the process)

If you already have a court order or other legally binding agreement in place regarding the arrangements for your child, and your partner is breaching it, you can:

  • discuss the problem face-to-face, or communicate through a mutual contact (if the court has put a non-molestation order in place that prohibits contact), to reach a solution without involving the court and causing further conflict
  • write to your partner via your solicitors, setting out some proposals for a resolution to the situation
  • apply to the court for the order to be enforced. This should really be a last resort—the court could fine, imprison or enforce the order (which can include penalties, such as up to 200 hours of community service) on your partner, so it could make things even more hostile

Is there anything else I can help with today?

MARTINT330 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can I write to the UK embassy stating that I want the visa issued to the children cancelled or revoked? Since the basis and informal agreement which I relied upon to release their passport to the mother is no longer valid.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My card was debited. Since the call won't happen can you reverse the transaction
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I need to see my kids tomorrow and on their birthday in school as I'm in Oxford for a few days. I worry their mother may get violent.I plan to show up at the kids school after they close by 3pm
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can I get a response?

You can ask to cancel (withdraw) an application for a visa, visa extension or citizenship.

You’ll get a refund of the immigration health surcharge if you cancel before a decision has been made about your application.

You may get a refund of the application fee. This depends on what stage your application is at when you cancel.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am waiting for the call
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i would like a refund. The solicitor has not called me and I WOULD llike a refund

In that case, I would highly advise you to contact customer service directly here:

As one of the legal experts, we don't have access to customer billings or we did not do such transactions. Please contact them immediately.