Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I need help with a property related issue, I'm in a company

Customer Question

I need help with a property related issue, I'm in a company let agreement with a Landlord for a residential property and i paid her a deposit for the property, I want to not pay the last month rent and leave my deposit as I'm afraid she will try to charge me for damage in the property that were already there when I moved in.She have been very unfair during the tenancy so as the deposit is not protected I decided not to pay the last month rent and leave my deposit.Before the tenancy started she didn’t visit the property and I was handed over the keys from the previous tenant, we move to the property which was extremely dirty and with many damage, she sent me an inventory report saying that everything was clean and in perfect condition to which I reply attaching pictures and comments to her inventory pointing out the damages and state of the property.I know if I pay the last month rent she will try detract me money for unfair reasons like cleaning and other wear and tears, when I moved in I had to clean the property myself and it was also during covid.Can she sue me if I leave my deposit to cover the last month rent?The deposit I paid is £2000 and the last month rent is £2300 should I just pay this difference?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

Did she acknowledge the pictures you sent?

did she protect your deposit and give the the EPC and gas / electric safety certs?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

I’m afraid that a lot of tenants do exactly what you are suggesting. Conscious that the landlord will not return the deposit they simply withhold the last month rent. Not a bad practical solution in some circumstances.

There is no need to protect the deposit on the commercial letting only an AST.

I can see no reason not to pay the difference. Tell her that she can keep the deposit and here is the balance as far as you’re concerned that’s the end of it.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

Can I help you any further with this? It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask. Kind regards Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okok so you suggest me just to pay the difference?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Yes. In essence, pay what you agree

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The landlord is claiming me for the 12£ daily charge which now amount to £300 she didn’t aree on me transferring the difference to cover the rent.Do you think I should still just transfer the difference?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 13 days ago.

Yes, I would do that