ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

My son lived in a flat with French doors, he moved out and

My son lived in a flat with French doors, he moved out and has since passed away. The agents for the flat are trying to make me pay for new French doors as I was guarantor. The doors are still there and are in perfect condition other than a handle needs fixing or replacing, my son reported this fault to them. They have billed me £1850 which I don't intend to pay, but what can I do?
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hull
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: My son has passed away , I am dealing with it.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My son was very I'll and caused an explosion in the gas cupboard. The only damage was the gas pipe and my son who was burnt. The fridge freezer was in front of the cupboard and was totally unharmed. The doors were at the other end of the room.
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That's all.
Thanks for your patience and enquiry. If you were a guarantor on the Lease, then you would legally be liable for any debts incurred by your son as a consequence of the said lease.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Please call again
I believe my colleague should be calling you back shortly. I will continue to give you some assistance here in the meantime. 

If however you dispute your son being liable, you do not have to pay. The onus is ultimately on the landlord to prove your son would have caused the damage. The difficulty I suspect you will have in defending this claim is being able to prove definitively, without your son’s oral evidence that he is not responsible.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.