How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78248
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I want to pursue a case for right to be forgotten - I have

Customer Question

I want to pursue a case for right to be forgotten - I have two crimes that i committed over 7 years ago which still appear in google searches. I have contact google who have refused to remove the articles saying they are still of public interest. I have contacted the publishers who are refusing to remove too. The articles are not allowing me to move on with my life and its impacting me mentally and my family. I have done the crime and spent the time in jail, but i continue to be punished now. Please can i can get some advise on how do i get a court order to remove these articles
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: milton keynes. i have written to both google and newspapers
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that is all
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

I understand your query relates to articles published online about your past convictions. What reason has the publisher provided for not wanting to remove them?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the publisher won't respond back to my request
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

OK thanks, ***** ***** do the articles actually say?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
they are quite bad
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
that i am convicted fraudster as i did it twice
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day and the system will notify you when this happens.

I should also make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I will be dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ok many thanks.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

No problem at all. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

The right to be forgotten applies though the GDPR legislation covering data protection rights. You can refer to the specific Article here:

There are certain exceptions which would mean the right does not apply, such as if the processing is ‘for exercising the right of freedom of expression and information’ or ‘for reasons of public interest’, both of which could allow them to keep the information online.

The difficulty is that case law hardly provides a definitive answer and each situation is dealt on a case-by-case basis. You certainly cannot get a general answer which says that the right can be exercised in all cases. Until you go to court and challenge the decision you simply won’t know which camp yours falls into.

However, as this is also a complex legal matter, you would be best advised to engage specialist lawyers to handle the application for you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.