How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17071
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I caused a car accident, and need to speak to someone who

This answer was rated:

Hi, I caused a car accident, and need to speak to someone who can talk me through what may happne.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: given my name and details to the person who's car I scratched
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the car was parked there was no one in the car
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the accident.

I'm unavailable for a call so I will give you a written answer - your call request is open to other experts and one of them may speak to you shortly.

In the meantime, you mention you struck a car and you scratched it - it doesn't sound like a serious accident. You say you have given your name and details to the owner, which is fine.

You can either agree to pay it without going through insurance, or you can notify your insurer (note, your insurer may require you to notify them of any accident, no matter how small).

I presume the car was parked properly and was not causing an obstruction in the road. That being the case, you would be liable for the cost of repairs though as I say, if you have insurance you may want to notify them of this. If you don't and they find out about this later, they could refuse cover in future. As an insurance policy is a contract so you need to comply with the terms - if you check your policy to see what it says about reporting accidents.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am uninsured.

OK, thanks. If you speak to the owner and try to come to an agreement over any repairs. If they have insurance they could go through their insurer but their insurer may try to come after you for their outlay.

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The owner wants to use their insurance company, and I have not yet told the owner that I am uninsured..
I have told her I want to pay for the repairs and not impact my premium.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am worried she will report me, or her insurer will report me to the police. I thought I could call up the police and report myself?

OK, thanks. You can't stop them from wanting to use their own insurance company unfortunately. If the damage is minor it may make more sense to offer to pay it yourself.

A lot of people are uninsured for whatever reason - e.g. a missed payment, so you could just let the owner know that you found out you are not insured but you're willing to pay for the damage.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There are scratches and the back bumper is 1 cm out of place. Her insurance company has said that paying for it myself is not good for her if there are further damages later on... which is an exaggeration I think.. her car was parked and I was trying to drive out slowly and miscalculated the distance...
Thanks, ***** ***** would be required before there can be any discussion about further damage. So if you plan to deal with the owner directly, either you or they need to obtain a quote for repairs.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay. That makes sense.

My pleasure, thanks