How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4711
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My son took out a loan for his friend he promised to pay.

Customer Question

Hi my son took out a loan for his friend he promised to pay . But has only paid a few hundread pounds . my son ended up getting iva against him because of this . Ihave had to pay loan off to stop interest i have some messages on my phone more or less him agreeing to this . want to know what options have of getting my money back 17/000 hank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: thornaby ts178pz
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None have just tried to be patient but enough now
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no i dont think so
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi I don’t think so thank you
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. Your son who entered into the agreement with him may be able to bring a claim against him for the return of this money.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Prior to bringing the claim, your son would have to write what is called a letter before action to the friend. In this letter he should set out the fact that he is intending to bring a claim, the reason for the claim and the amount being claimed. He is required to give a minimum of 14 days for the friend to respond. If the friend fails to respond within this time, he may then bring a clqim.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

He may issue proceedings via the below link:

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Please cancel this I thought it was £5 you have charged me £50 for one question. Cancel thank you
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.

Kindly reach out to our customer services team. They will be able to assist in this regard.