Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

We have inherited some money that are in a UK bank account.

We have inherited some money that are in a UK bank account. We are Maltese nationals and not residents in the UK. The bank is asking us to do a probate or a grant of representation. Can you advise me what this is and what is the process please?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I tried to speak to UK High commission and they advised me to try to look for UK lawyer
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: This is my first step
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't know. I can give them info they need

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Who is this person you have inherited from? and who are you to them?

and what does their estate consist of?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She is my auntie. She left money in a bank account for us. We are six cousins. The estate in UK consists of a bank account.

Probate is a court order which gives the executors the power to deal with the will and the authority for all the financial institutions and the land registry to deal with any property.

There are 2 “types of probate”.

There is Grant of Probate which the executors need to deal with the estate.

It’s basically a court approval/order allowing them and giving them the authority to deal with the estate assets.

However if there is no will it’s a different document called Letters of Administration although it looks the same (but with a different title) and the effect is the same.

Although the executors apply for Grant of Probate, there are no executors if there is no will and it would normally be the closest living relative. You will find the list of people on the government link I have sent you below.

The government have produced these webpages on exactly this subject:

https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate/apply-for-probate

Please read it in detail.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

PS 

If you can’t be bothered or you don’t have the time or don’t want to do it for any other reason, any firm of solicitors will normally do this for you. They will take a percentage of the value of the estate. However it is not rocket science, so do shop around for prices.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok let me have a look and will get back to you soon

No problem. In your own time.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What will the percentage charge be approximately?

It varies from a small percentage to quite a high percentage and sometimes it’s a small percentage plus a fixed fee.

If you Google

solicitors charge for probate

it will give some indications

Can I help you any further with this?

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Stuart

Hello again.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Stuart