Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My car is claiming penalty charge starting 18/6/22 10::00

Customer Question

My car is claiming penalty charge starting 18/6/22 10::00 AN
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m Acton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: the penalty charge isn’t my name
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i send him the DVLA logbook
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

do you mean you sold this car?

and if so when was this?

I need as much background details possible please. Thank you

Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

You commit a criminal offence by not actually changing the registered keeper’s details at DVLA which you can do online very easily and far more secure than doing it in the post.

The onus is on the Seller/current registered keeper to advise change of ownership and the registered keeper does NOT give the V5 document to the buyer otherwise the buyer may simply not change the name and go speeding and parking and doing whatever without changing the name over and then the registered keeper in whose name the card is still registered, will be getting all the bills.

You say that the penalty charge is not in your name. If it’s not in your name then I don’t know what the problem is. I think you mean it should not be in your name. All you can do is provide proof that you sold the vehicle and that for whatever reason it wasn’t changed at DVLA but you need to also write to DVLA to tell them exactly what happened and when you sold it so that you don’t get any future charges.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The last 3 days I am not working because my car is clapping bye enfranchisement agete I give all my documents and the car is finance car the penalty charge is not my name.what can I do? He didn’t release my vehicle
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Call me***********The logbook is my name the penalty charge is not my name
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

If the penalty charge is not in your name, then I’m not certain what the problem is.

If it’s in the name of the finance company because they are down as the owner then they will simply pass your details on.

If the V5 is in your name then it shouldn’t be, you should have transferred into the name of the registered keeper.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
V5 documents the logbook is my name I have logbook but the penalty charge is not my name
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

I don’t how the penalty charge can be in somebody else’s name if the registration document is in your name.

If the penalty charge is not in your name, then I don’t know what the problem is.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don’t no why is it Clamped my vehicle I send the logbook still my name
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

If your vehicle has been clamped then it must be on public land owned by the local authority because clamping vehicles on private land is illegal.

It may be that it’s not taxed or tested or insured if it is still in your name

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How can I ask compensation 4 days clamped my vehicle result my irresponsiblea and they released my vehicle today
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
4 days I am not working
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

I’m sorry but I don’t know who clamped the vehicle or why because you haven’t told me.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

I do need the full background detail please.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart